Financial Aid Resources for Undocumented Students

Undocumented students are not eligible to receive federal student aid, including loans and grants. However, Undocumented students CAN go to college! There are some financial aid and scholarship opportunities available.

Who Is Eligible

Check out this chart for an overview of what financial aid opportunities are available.


  • Who are undocumented students?
    Undocumented students are students who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or “eligible noncitizens.”
  • Who is an eligible noncitizen?
    An eligible noncitizen is one of the following – U.S. Permanent Resident (green card holder); – Conditional permanent resident (I-551C); – Has an 1-94 from USCIS that shows “refugee”, “Asylum Granted,” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant” or – Holds a T nonimmigrant status for victims of human trafficking (“T-visa“).
  • Is need-based financial aid available for undocumented students?
    Undocumented students are not eligible for federal student aid. (i.e., Pell Grants, student loans, Federal Work Study). However, a few colleges and universities DO offer some institutional financial aid and/or make merit scholarships available to undocumented students.
  • Which colleges offer need-based aid and merit scholarships to undocumented students?
    Click here for the list of schools.
  • Should undocumented students use the online FAFSA?
    It is not advisable for undocumented students to complete the online FAFSA. There are a few schools that may ask you to complete and print out a paper version of the FAFSA and mail it to the college nevertheless, with the sole purpose of determining your income and expected family contributions.
  • Does my parents’ citizenship status affect my eligibility for federal student aid or DC state aid?
    No. Your parents’ citizenship status does not affect your eligibility for federal student aid or DCTAG. In fact, the FAFSA doesn’t even ask about your parents’ status.
  • What should I do if my parents are undocumented and I need to complete the FAFSA?
    If you are a US citizen or eligible non-citizen and are completing the FAFSA but your parents do not have a social security number they should fill out 000-000-000 as their social security number. Do not put in an ITN (individual taxpayer number). If your parents do not have Social Security numbers, you must print out the signature page from the online FAFSA so that your parents can sign it and send it in.

Scholarships For Undocumented Students.

Colleges That Provide Financial Aid For Undocumented Students