Financial Aid Resources for Homeless and Foster Youth


  • Who Is An Unaccompanied Homeless Youth?
    Unaccompanied homeless youth are those under age 21 who lack safe, stable homes and who are not in the care of a parent or guardian. They may have run away from home or been forced to leave by their parents. Unaccompanied youth live in a variety of temporary situations, including shelters, the homes of friends or relatives, cars, campgrounds, public parks, abandoned buildings, motels, and bus or train stations.
  • Can I Receive Federal Student Aid If I Am Homeless Or At Risk Of Becoming Homeless?
    Yes. When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will be asked whether you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and “unaccompanied” (meaning not with your parents). Answer the question and continue with the application.
  • Do I Need To Provide My Parents’ Income Information On The FAFSA?
    No. If you answer “yes” to the homelessness question on the FAFSA, you will be able to submit the FAFSA without providing information about your parents because you are stating that you are not with your parents.
  • Do I Need To Provide A Home Address On The FAFSA?
    No, but you do need to provide a mailing address where you can reliably receive mail. Your mailing address can be the address of a relative or friend who has given you permission to use it, or it can be your college’s address. If you find more permanent housing, you should update your address on the FAFSA.

DCPS Liaisons

Each DCPS school has an identified homeless liaison. This staff member provides assistance to homeless students and their families by protecting their rights and providing them support. Identify your school’s homeless liaison here.