Resources for Applying to College
Letters of Recommendation
Whether it is required for a college application or a scholarship opportunity, a letter of recommendation plays a crucial role in painting the complete picture of you. While grades, SAT/ACT exam results, and extracurricular activities all describe the type of student you are, the letter paints an overall picture of your accomplishments, personal attributes, and potential.
- Whom to ask Teacher, Boss, Coach or Community leader who knows you well. Check the application for guidelines.
- When to ask Ask the writer at least one month in advance and let them know when it’s due.
- What to give them Give the writer a copy of your resume. Letters should be typed, signed, and printed on official letterhead
- Don’t forget to say thank you!
Resources for students:
- College Brag Sheet Use this brag sheet and make it easy for your teachers and counselors to give positive, detailed information about your achievements and your potential.
- Whom to Ask guidelines Use this sheet to brainstorm whom you can ask to write a recommendation letter.
- Resume Template Here is a template you can use to create your own resume using the information from the brag sheet.
- How to Request a Letter of Recommendation in Naviance Once you have asked your teacher to write you a letter of recommendation and they have agreed to do this use these directions to request a letter from them in Naviance.
Resources for counselors/teachers: