Posts in Category: Financial FAQ

How To Receive Financial Aid?

To receive financial aid, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is required for federal financial aid programs, DCTAG, as well as other institutional colleges’ financial aid. You can submit the FAFSA as early as October 1 each year.

Some colleges may require you to submit the CSS Profile, to apply for institutional financial aid. Check with the colleges about any additional applications and deadlines.

DCPS students should also submit the District of Columbia Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG). DCTAG pays the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition, up to $10,000 annually at public colleges and up to $2,500 at private colleges in the immediate DC region and private HBCUs nationwide.

What Is Financial Aid?

Financial aid is money that helps students pay for college. There are several types of financial aid –

  • Scholarships and Grants – Money that doesn’t have to be repaid.
  • Loans – Money that must be repaid, with interest.
  • Work Study- Money that’s earned while attending school and that doesn’t have to be repaid.

Financial aid awards may include a combination of the various types of aid. The amount of financial aid that a student receives is determined through federal, state and institutional guidelines.